Black & Decker said it would reduce any non-essential staff and decided to withdraw its 2020 forecast
As the impact of COVID-19 continues to expand, Stanley Black & Decker, Inc. (NYSE:SWK) announced it will reduce non-essential staff, cut indirect spending by roughly $1.7 billion, and suspend any acquisition-related activity. The firm also said it will withdraw its previously-announced guidance for 2020. The hardware manufacturer plans on broadcast its first-quarter earnings on Thursday, April 30. Meanwhile, SWK stock is up 2.4%, last seen trading at $94.45.
Despite today's pop, SWK still sports a 43.6% year-to-date deficit, with shares now off 46% from their late-January, all-time high of $173.67. Today, the security is testing its footing atop the 10-day moving average -- a trendline it conquered during last week's pop before, once again, moving lower.
Despite recent market volatility, analysts are still bullish on Black & Decker. Of the 14 in coverage, 10 sport a “strong buy” position, while the remaining four give SWK a tepid “hold” rating. Backing this sentiment is the SWK’s consensus 12-month price target of $155.79 which stands at a hefty 69.1% premium to the stock’s current levels.
Optimism pervades the options pits, too. At the International Securities Exchange (ISE), Cboe Options Exchange (CBOE), and NASDAQ OMX PHLX (PHLX), SWK stock sports a 10-day call/put volume ratio of 5.64, which sits higher than 91% of readings from the past year, suggesting calls are outpacing puts at a faster-than-usual clip.